Bipolar

I've just written a piece about Dolores O'Riordan and I didn't want to say this there because it's on very shaky ground to the point of almost sounding something like racist, but she was Irish and diagnosed in 2015 with bipolar.

My maiden name is Irish in origin and I have Atypical Cystic Fibrosis. The Irish have the most families with two or more members with CF.

While extremely ill and homeless, I began having bipolar-like big mood swings and I asked my son to check if there's any connection between salt and lithium and he did and said there was.

So I began having a lithium-rich food, like beef or pork, and salty potatoes when I could feel the start of that process where I'm like "I'm going to be a whack job later tonight." And that stopped that. It was preventative.

So I'm kind of wondering if maybe Dolores O'Riordan was a carrier for CF, someone who has the gene but only one copy, not two. And such people do have very MILD issues similar to what people with CF suffer, like they are prone to IBS -- irritable bowel syndrome -- which is very mild gut issues compared to classical CF.

So CF is a salt wasting condition and we misprocess fats and all the hormones I'm researching for this site start with cholesterol and salt is used by the adrenals and then if your adrenals are chronically stressed, it impacts the thyroid and I've recently written some about thyroid issues. High thyroid is known to cause mania. 

So I'm a bit concerned that bipolar is an unrecognized hormonal issue and one underlying cause is salt derangement. And if you are trans and have some unrecognized hormonal syndrome, you may be at higher than average risk for bipolar disorder or bipolar-like symptoms.

I don't really know if this is an accurate characterization of what was going on with Dolores O'Riordan. "Irish" isn't really a strong indicator she may have been a CF carrier. It's not responsible to suggest that this is the case for her in specific.

But it's what inspired the thought that bipolar should perhaps be viewed that way.

Comments